Friday, March 16, 2012

Know your Status, get Tested

One day I was sitting in class, and a guest speaker was talking about STDs.  She was talking about getting tested, and how important getting tested was. I started to think why people should get tested. The guest speaker explained that people should get tested even if they don’t have symptoms, because most of the time STDs don’t show symptoms. Then I went in to deeper thought, and started to wonder how often people should get tested. The kids started to leave the class for break, and I didn’t get my question answered.  A few years after, I still wondered about it, and I wondered if people had the same question. So, I did my research, and found out how often people should be tested.

1.   People need to get tested when they change partners even if you were in a monogamous relationship.
2.  Whenever people decide to add another partner in their life while having sex with another one.
3.  Symptoms or not, people still need to get tested if sexually active.
4.   If you think if someone is cheating on you get tested.
5.  If you find out you have an STD it’s recommended that your partner or partners get tested, and treated.
Important to Keep in Mind
 There can be consequences for not getting tested, like embarrassment if you give an STD to your partner. Undetected infections can lead to infertility. To help avoid consequences you may way to talk to your partner about their sexual history. Ask them about if they ever got tested, and if they got tested what had they done since then.

No comments:

Post a Comment